Homemade Toothpaste and Mouthwash
Цей блог не був схвалений вашим місцевим відділом охорони здоров'я і не призначений для встановлення діагнозу, лікування або медичної консультації.
Good oral health is important, but commercial toothpaste and mouthwashes can contain ingredients that increase the price and may even be of questionable safety. Fluoride, for example, is added to toothpaste to prevent cavities, but it is not recommended for all people and can be toxic in high doses.
Commercial toothpaste can also contain an antibacterial agent called triclosan, which the FDA has removed from antibacterial soaps. The solution to these problems is to make homemade toothpaste and mouthwashes out of safe and inexpensive ingredients.
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 15 to 20 drops cinnamon or peppermint essential oil
- 2 small packets stevia powder
- 2 or 3 Tbs. baking soda
- 10 drops myrrh extract (optional)
- Melt the coconut oil and stir in the other ingredients.
- Let the oil cool and solidify before use.
- Either dip the toothbrush into the mixture or spoon some toothpaste onto the brush for use.
The following do it yourself mouthwash has antibacterial and antifungal properties that help prevent bad breath.
Do It Yourself Mouthwash
- 1/2 cup filtered or distilled water
- 2 drops peppermint essential oil
- 2 drops tea tree essential oil
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- Mix the ingredients in a small jar or container.
- Swish about 2 or 3 teaspoons in the mouth for one or two minutes. Avoid swallowing while gargling.
Since the baking soda will settle to the bottom between uses, it will be necessary to shake the mouthwash before using it.